Labels

Monday, April 15, 2013

Ground Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers

Today I bring you some super yummy stuffed bell peppers!  They were made with ground turkey, so they still qualify as healthy.  This dish is a great way to sneak some vegetables in if you have a picky eater, even if they won't eat the pepper.  Also if you have someone who may be hesitant to try the ground turkey just don't tell them its turkey!  We have a super picky eater in our house who loved them.  Had he known it was ground turkey he wouldn't have even tasted them. This recipe is pretty basic, but if we'd had celery and mushrooms on hand I would have added them as well. 



Ingredients:                                                                    Serves 4; one whole bell pepper each

2lbs ground turkey
4 Bell Peppers (any color you'd like)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup mashed potato flakes

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Mix ground turkey, shredded carrots, chopped onions, spaghetti sauce, and potato flakes into a bowl and mix together with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. 
Cut bell peppers in half length wise, remove stem and seeds. 
Spoon filling into peppers and place peppers in a baking dish (any you feel comfortable with)
Place in oven an bake uncovered 30-45 min



There is no need to go out and buy shredded carrots for this dish unless you want to.  I used the small side of my cheese grater and shredded one myself.  As I mentioned before I would have also tossed in some celery and mushrooms if we'd had them.  Also you can add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder individually if you like, but we buy a pre mixed garlic pepper salt a the dollar tree that I really like.  Be careful you don't over salt if you use that. 

For those of you who like a little spice, my husband had the great idea of trying this stuffed in a chile pepper.  I'll let you know how that turns out ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment